Organise communication, manage projects and follow up on activities in real-time with groups. Groups ensure focus and specialization in a familiar and effective format.
Topics in this article
Creating a group
Users with permission can create groups. Remember that permissions are determined by the User type(s) assigned to the Users.
Go to "Create Groups" in groups
Start with the basic information
- Name: Give your group a name
- Private: Private groups are only visible for its members and cannot be seen in the group list if you are not a member of the group. If the group is not private it can bee seen by all users and all users can decide weather they want to join the group or not.
- Description: You can make a short description to explain the purpose of the group.
- Image: You can add a group image and we recommend you to do so. The group will be easily recognisable.
When you create the group you will automatically become group administrator
Adding members to a Group
When you create groups you have two ways to add members:
- Adding members manually: You will do that once the group has been created and ad hoc when you want to add other new members or remove existing members
- Adding members automatically: Add members based on Units and User types and the system will add and remove group member accordingly automatically.
You can always add members manually to a group. However if manually adder members are covered by an automatic setting of Units and User types, the automatic management will prevail.
Adding members manually
Go to the Group menu and select "Members"
Go to Add member, search for the User you want to add and press the "+" to add the member
Adding members automatically
You don't need to worry about adding and remowing people to your groups when new hires arrive or people leave your organisation. In ziik you can put your group memberships on auto-pilot.
You simply add the unit(s) and user type(s) you want in your groups as default. Ziik will then take care of adding new hires and remove people who has left your organisation.
- Units: Simply select the units we should check when managing users in your group.
- User types: Select the user types we should keep in your groups.
You can always add members manually to groups. But please note if you add members manually you will also need to remove members manually.
How to Edit, Leave and Delete a Group
Only admins can edit and delete the group.
Edit: If you wish to change the name or some other setting in the group, press "Edit" in the drop-down menu.
Delete: If you wish to delete the group press delete in the drop-down menu. Please note that there is no return if you do so.
Leave group: Press "Leave group" in the drop-down menu if you wish to leave the group.
Please note that you can not leave a group if you are a part of the automatic user management setting. If you are the sole admin of the group, you will need to promote another admin before you can leave the group.
Where to find shared files
It is easy to find documents, images or video that have been shared in your groups direct from the drop-down menu.
Images and video:
Drafts and scheduled posts
Group admins and members can find drafts and scheduled posts by clicking on the drop-down menu.
- Drafts - Admins can find all drafts made by admins here. Users can find their own drafts here.
- Scheduled - Admins can find all posts scheduled by admins here. Users can find their own scheduled posts here.
Private and Open Groups
- Available Groups (Open): Available groups are open groups that everybody in your organisation can join and leave again if they like. With other words this is the users own choice weather they want to be member of the group or not. Available groups are found under the tab "Available groups".
- Private groups: Private groups are only visible for members of that group. You can only join private groups if you have been invited to the group or if you have started the group yourself.
How to promote / demote admins
You need to be admin to promote er demote admins and members.
If you want to leave a group where you are the sole admin you will need to promote another member to admin first.
The group feed
Groups behave the same way as the global feed but only with that groups content.
Feed - This is the group feed showing all posts, comments and replies.
Events - Listing all upcoming events in a group.
Highlighted - Listing all posts that have been highlighted in a group. Only group admins can create posts with the status highlighted.
Latest activity / Latest created
There are currently two ways to filter the content in the group:
- Latest Activity: This filtering will always put the debate of a group which had the latest activity at the top of the group. Activity includes:
- Comments & Creation of a debate
- Latest Created Post: This filtering setting will always put the latest created post at the top, no matter the comment activity on different posts. This way, you can always make sure that you've read the latest posts without being disturbed by comments on topics that doesn't concern you.
Table - Who can see what
Groups are a powerful communication tool that allow you to communicate effectively across your entire organization. Furthermore, we'd recommend you to read our article on how to create a group post.
Feel free to read about how Groups works on a mobile device by reading this article How does Groups work (Mobile).